The 11th Annual Toowoon Bay Ocean Swim will be held on Saturday 28th November 2015. The event attracts swimmers from 8 years old to eighty competing in over three distances.
Ocean swimming is one of the fastest growing sports in Australia. This swim will be the first for the summer season in Wyong Shire.
The Beach at Toowoon Bay is the perfect venue, having been awarded the cleanest/most beautiful beach award in 2007. The protected nature of the bay enables the Toowoon Bay Ocean Swim Committee to cater for a wider range of abilities and ages than many other ocean swims. A 400m swim for 8 to 12 yr olds will be run again this year with separate prizes awarded for swimmers under 10 years and 11/12 yr age divisions.
We welcome swimmers with disabilities, and ask that they contact us prior to the event so we can organise assistance. A donation is made to the Disabled Surfers Association from the days proceeds.
Past competitors and winners have included:
- Kate McNamara (National Surf Life Saving Womens Ski Champion)
- Nicole Hackett (OlympicTriathlete)
- Shelley Clarke (Australian 25km Ocean Swim Champion and international competitor)
- Ian Rayson (award winning ocean swimmer)
- Stephanie Carey (State Surf Life Saving champion)
- Chris Parker (Multi-Medallist at State and National Surf Championships)
- Matt Murphy (International age winning triathlete)
- Margaret Beardsley (Australian Age Champion athlete/triathlete)
Many local businesses have supported the event through sponsorship and donation of services and we’d like to thank them all for their support.
There are lots of prizes, lucky swimmer awards and raffles on the day. BBQ facilities and a kiosk will be open.
Entries are available online at oceanswims.com or on the day from 7:30 to 8:15am. The day kicks off with the John MacNamara Memorial Open 400m swim at 8:45am. See you on the beach!
Greg Owen (0414 877 672) & Laureen Sliwinski (0411 548 074)
On Behalf of the Toowoon Bay Ocean Swim Committee