SurfCom Operator (Casual staff)
We are current seeking professional individuals with great communication skills for our State Operations Centre. This is an exciting opportunity to provide operational and communication support to our State Operations Centre- the communication and coordination hub in NSW.
Surf Life Saving NSW is the state’s primary water safety and rescue organisation and one of the largest volunteer movements in the country. We support more than 77,000 members in 129 clubs to serve the community through the provision of beach patrol services, coastal emergency response, training and education, sports and junior development.
SurfCom operates daylight hours 365 days a year, ramping up as the new patrolling season starts to peak over the Christmas Holidays. With over 4900 rescues, almost 1000 Police or Ambulance callouts, multiple chopper, offshore boat and support operations tasking, this can be an action packed role that demands quick thinking, good coastal knowledge and a good understanding of Surf Life Saving principles.
Essential Experience Required:
- Proven ability to operate radio communications systems
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with several groups both internal and external – you will communicate efficiently with various emergency services and SLS Services via phone, radio, internet and in person
- An excellent knowledge of Surf Lifesaving Operations or the Australian Lifeguard Services/Council Lifeguard Services
- Outstanding computer skills - particularly the internet and computer-aided dispatch systems
- Attention to detail and great work ethic
- Excellent relationship building skills – you will be working side by side with both paid staff and volunteers
- Flexible attitude to working hours – various shifts available
You will be a self-motivated individual who can work across a variety of lifesaving operational areas such as the SLSNSW Coastal Radio Network and the Surf Emergency Response System as the first point of contact on the phone, radio, and internet or in person. Reporting to the Duty Operations Coordinator the successful candidate will have the ability to work independently, and as part of operations team.
Location: Surf Life Saving NSW Headquarters – Belrose
Position: Paid Casual SurfCom Operator
Closing date for applications: 25 September 2017
How to apply:
- Send through a current copy of your resume and cover letter (no more than 3 pages)
- Review the position description available on our website and include a written response to the selection criteria (no more than 3 pages)
For further information on this role please contact Human Resources on (02) 9471 8017. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Successful candidates will be contacted for interviews following the closing date.