LifeJacket Saves Jet Skier
A lifejacket has helped a recreational Jet Skier has avoided serious injury after he got into difficulty while out on the water at Hat Heat on the state’s Mid North Coast on Saturday.
The man aged in his late 20s was about 500 metres off Korogoro Headland when he noticed a leak in his vessel just before 3pm. The water was coming in too fast and rendered the craft inoperable.
As a result the man has entered the water and the Jet Ski has drifted away. Fortuitously he was wearing a lifejacket when the incident occurred.
Police were notified by a member of the public and the State Operations Centre was asked to make Surf Life Saving assets available.
The Hat Head SLSC call-out team was tasked to attend. An Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) was launched and the man was recovered safely.
A short while afterwards following a brief search the man’s wayward Jet Ski was also retrieved from the water.
Police and Paramedics also attended the scene where he was medically assessed. He was given a clean bill of health by the medical experts and was not required to be transported to hospital.
It is understood that he was in the water for approximately 40 minutes during the operation with the lifejacket playing an important part in helping the man emerge unscathed.
Beach Safety Tips
• Always swim between the red and yellow patrol flags, for your nearest patrolled beach check the BeachSafe app or website
• Read the safety signs for information about the beach and ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for safety information
• Always swim with someone else so you can look out for each other, and always supervise children around the water
• Never swim under the influence of alcohol or drugs
• If you need help in the water, stay calm and attract attention by raising one arm
• In an emergency, dial Triple Zero Police
• Don’t forget to be sun safe by remembering to: Slip on some protective clothing, Slop on some sunscreen, Slap on a hat, Slide on a pair of sunglasses, Seek some shade and Sip on lots of water to stay hydrated
• For information about patrol times, weather, and beach locations visit the Beachsafe Website or Download the App.
Sat 11 Mar 2017