Country Champs Athlete Profile: Kalani Ives
With the 2015 Stramit NSW Country Championships just around the corner, SLSNSW takes a look at some of those hoping to make their mark on the event.
Kalani Ives from Yamba SLSC enjoyed a stellar 2014 as she enjoyed success at local, country and state level across a variety of events. Comfortable both on land and water, this far North Coast youngster is looking forward to getting to Mollymook and catching up with her friends that she made from other clubs.
Name: Kalani Ives Club: Yamba SLSC Age Group: Under 10’s Events you are planning to contest: Swim, Board, Flags, Sprint, Board Relay & Swim Relay
Previous appearances or results at Country Champs or other major events:
Country Champs Mollymook : Gold - U9 Female Board, Gold - U9 Female Surf, Gold - U9 Female Beach Flags, Gold - U9 Mixed Swim Relay, Bronze - U9 Mixed Board Relay, Bronze - U9 Beach Relay.
Country Champs South West Rocks: Gold - U8 Female Beach Flags, Silver U8 Female Beach Sprint
- Cudgen Classic 2014: Placed 1st in the Iron-women & 1st in a composite team board relay
- Wave Warriors 2014 Greenmount: Gold - U10 Female Board, Gold - U10 Female Beach Sprint, Silver - U10 Female Swim, Silver - U10 Iron-woman
- Kracka Catho Board Challenge 2014: Gold - U10 Female Board 1000m, Gold - U10 Female Board Apex Challenge, Gold - U10 Female Board Dash for Cash
- North Coast SLS Branch Carnival Lennox Head November 2014: Gold - U10Female Board, Gold - U10 Female Swim, Gold - U10 Female Flags, Gold - U10 Female Beach Sprint
- Ohana Ocean Athletics: I am very lucky to be an ambassador for Ohana Ocean Athletics.
How long have you been involved in surf lifesaving?
What do you enjoy most about being a member of a surf lifesaving club?
Competition, travel and making friends.
How has your training been going for the Country Championships?
Training is going great and my Dad is my coach!
What are your goals for the Championships and the rest of the season?
To put in a 100% and keep training with my dad.
Do you have any pre-event superstitions or preparations?
I listen to my music on my iPod before events!
What are you most looking forward to about Country Championships?
The Board event and catching up with friends from other clubs I meet last time at Country Championships.
Are there any surf athletes you admire or have found to be an inspiration and why?
Liz Pluimers is great she is healthy, fit and very good at what she does.
The 2015 Stramit NSW Country Championships will be held at Mollymook Beach on Jan 16-18.
For further information about the Championships, please check out our event page
Tue 13 Jan 2015