Lifesavers Scrub Up For Awards of Excellence
Over 300 of the state’s finest surf lifesavers took time out away from the ocean on Saturday night to celebrate a successful season at a glittering ceremony in Sydney.
Central Coast clubs enjoyed a very successful night, taking home six awards including Community Education Program of the Year and Young Lifesaver for the 2016/17 season.
The Far North Coast Branch earned two awards while lifesavers from the Mid North Coast returned home as the winners in three categories including Rescue of the Year (Camden Haven SLSC).
Sydney and Sydney Northern Beaches clubs had plenty of reasons to smile, picking up eight awards between them while the Lower North Coast, North Coast, and Far South Coast branches also earned awards on the evening.
After volunteering more than 200 hours this season and impressing the panel with her knowledge of Surf Life Saving, Lara Boyle from Whale Beach SLSC was crowned the prestigious Surf Lifesaver of the Year.
"I'm so thrilled and honoured to receive this award. My club has been an amazing support and I'm forever grateful for the opportunities that I've been able to pursue," Lara Boyle said.
"I was privileged enough to achieve so much this year from being Club Captain to being part of NSW development programs and travelling to Japan for the Surf Life Saving Australia Lifesaving Exchange."
It was a fantastic achievement by the young lifesaver who wears many hats at her club.
There were also plenty of cheers when Bermagui SLSC was announced the Stramit Club of the Year. It’s been a challenging few years for the Far South Coast club which has worked extremely hard to turn around its fortunes.
"Thank you to our members. This is an amazing achievement as we were up against some big surf clubs across the state,"President Bruce McAslan said.
"We have a very close group of members at Bermagui and this has given us the motivation to further enhance our club and surf lifesaving within our community."
The 2017 SLSNSW Awards of Excellence are proudly presented by Stramit Building Products. Over 300 of Surf Life Saving’s most outstanding lifesavers, athletes, educators, coaches, and administrators from around the state celebrated the season that was.
2017 SLSNSW Awards of Excellence Winners
- Official of the Year - Wayne Scott (Red Rock-Corindi)
- Youth Athlete of the Year - Jemma Smith (Umina)
- Athlete of the Year - Jake Lynch (Newport)
- Masters Athlete of the Year - Paul Lemmon (Terrigal)
- Sport Team of the Year - Open First Aid Team (Freshwater)
- Coach of the Year - Jock Campbell (Wanda)
- Administrator of the Year - Trish Watts (Shelly Beach)
- Services Team of the Year - Member Services Team (Mid North Coast)
- Trainer of the Year - Susan Croad (Hat Head)
- Assessor of the Year - Ramzy Fawzy (Wamberal)
- Facilitator of the Year - Janne Moran (Pacific Palms)
- Initiative of the Year - Special Needs Branch Championships (Mona Vale)
- Community Education Program of the Year - Central Coast Branch
- Junior Lifesaver of the Year - Elliott Prasad (Narrabeen Beach)
- Junior Lifesaver of the Year - Matilda Shirley (Byron Bay)
- Young Lifesaver of the Year - Ryan Chiswell (Ocean Beach)
- ALS Lifeguard of the Year - Jai Sheridan (Byron Shire)
- Rescue of the Year - Camden Haven SLSC
- Branch of the Year - Surf Life Saving Sydney
- Club of the Year - Bermagui SLSC
- Volunteer of the Year - Wayne Druery (Cronulla)
- Surf Lifesaver of the Year - Lara Boyle (Whale Beach)
Sat 5 Aug 2017