Man Drowns At Freshwater Rock Pool
Despite the best efforts of Council Lifeguards, Surf Lifesavers, and Paramedics a man has drowned while swimming in the rock pool at Freshwater on Saturday.
Lifesavers at Freshwater Surf Life Saving Club were winding down their opening patrol of the season when the alarm was raised at the popular rock pool located to the north of the main swimming area at around 4:45pm AEST on Saturday afternoon.
The State Operations Centre received reports that a 45-year-old man had got into difficulty and was unconscious when he was pulled from the water.
A Sydney Northern Beaches Duty Officer was tasked to the scene while patrolling lifesavers rushed to the rock pool to offer assistance to the attending Council Lifeguards.
Lifeguards and surf lifesavers immediately commenced CPR on the stricken patient, with Paramedics and Police relieving the Surf Lifesavers in the resuscitation attempt once they arrived on scene.
Unfortunately the swimmer couldn’t be revived.
The circumstances that led to the man getting into difficulty are yet to be investigated, while the surf lifesavers involved have participated in a critical incident debrief as per standard operating procedures.
A report will be prepared for the NSW Coroner.
General Beach Safety Tips:
• Always swim between the red and yellow patrol flags, for your nearest patrolled beach check the BeachSafe app or website
• Read the safety signs for information about the beach and ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for safety information
• Always swim with someone else so you can look out for each other, and always supervise children around the water
• Never swim under the influence of alcohol or drugs
• If you need help in the water, stay calm and attract attention by raising one arm
• In an emergency, dial Triple Zero Police
• Don’t forget to be sun safe by remembering to: Slip on some protective clothing, Slop on some sunscreen, Slap on a hat, Slide on a pair of sunglasses, Seek some shade and Sip on lots of water to stay hydrated
• For information about patrol times, weather, and beach locations visit the Beachsafe Website or Download the App.
Sun 25 Sep 2016