The Child Safe Program assists Surf Life Saving (SLS) in our commitment to the protection of Children and Young People (CYP) from abuse, harm and exploitation.
The program builds the capacity of SLS to protect our CYP by providing resources and education to support clubs to provide a safe environment for all members. Clubs can begin to provide a safe environment through the development and implementation of the following key strategies:
- A statement of commitment to child safety
- Implementation of the code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour when dealing with CYP
- Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
- Educate and inform members of the signs and indicators of child abuse
- Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Regular communication, awareness and promotion of the Child Safe Program
- Strategies to identify and remove risks to CYP
- Strategies to communicate and promote the participation and empowerment of CYP within the club
Resources, webinars and an online training course have been developed to assist all Clubs to achieve these standards outlined above.
The Child Safe Program is underwritten by the Surf Life Saving Australia Child Safe Policy.
We encourage feedback from all members, families and communities on the SLSNSW approach to Child Safety