The Development Coach course provides coaches with the knowledge and skills to effectively plan and deliver discipline specific coaching sessions with a particular focus on skill development.
This award is aimed at coaches who have chosen to specialise in one or more discipline/s to coach participants who are actively competing in a club/branch surf sport environment.
You must complete this course if you wish to coach (sweep) Surf Boats, followed by the Sweep Accreditation Checklist.
Target: Parents of nippers, parents of young athletes, current/ex surf competitors, lifesaving trainers, other sporting code coaches wishing to coach surf athletes.
Duration (theory & practical): A mix of theory and practical education methods. The three-part theory component must be completed prior to the practical course.
At the completion of this course coaches will be able to:
- Understand the role, legal obligations and ethical responsibilities of a Development Coach operating in a discipline environment
- Identify risks associated with discipline specific coaching activities and identify relevant risk reduction strategies.
- Prepare a discipline specific Surf Sports monthly coaching plan and individual session plans suitable for participants in the Learn / Participate phase of development.
- Select coaching methods and activities appropriate to participants’ (in the Learn / Participate phase of development) physical technical, tactical and psychological needs and characteristics.
- Safely conduct discipline specific Surf Sports coaching sessions, (with participants in the Learn / Participate phase of development) which develop participants’ physical technical, tactical and psychological skills.
- Utilise a range of communication skills and behaviour management strategies to help participants develop discipline specific skills and tactics.
- Develop strategies to build effective working relationships with parents, Surf Sports Officials and Club/Event Administrators.
- Review coaching programs and plans; and own performance and identify improvement strategies.
The first component is the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) Community Coaching General Principles certificate. The second component is to complete ASADA Level 1 Sports Anti-Doping Course. The third step is to complete the online modules via EtrainU.
The Development course modules (2-6) you will need to complete on EtrainU are:
- Introduction to Surf Sports Coaching
- Understanding your athletes’
- Developing your athletes’ physical capacities
- Managing your Surf Sport coaching program
There is no time limit to complete these modules. You do not have to complete this in the one sitting but it is in your best interest to complete them ASAP. The practical component will take approx. 1-3 hours in duration depending on the discipline you choose and the availability of your Assessor/s.
Enrolment prerequisites: Participants must be 16+ years to enrol in this course. The Foundation course is not a prerequisite for the Development course.
Cost: $115 including GST.
Recognised Prior Learning (RPL)
How to apply for RPL
If a candidate feels they already have the required competencies in any of the courses, they can apply to have these skills recognised to acquire their coaching accreditation without completing the theory components. You must have considerable prior knowledge to be approved. Please complete the RPL forms below and send them to the SLSNSW Surf Sports Team.