Note: The Age Manager qualification is not part of the National Coach Accreditation Scheme.
Enrol in a Course
SLSNSW coaching courses are accessible to our members at any time through the SLSA Members Area.
Before you enrol in any course, please ensure you have a SLSA Members Area account. If you don’t have an account please contact the SLSA IT Help Desk. You will need to access this throughout the duration of the courses.
To active your username in the system, please follow the below prompts:
- You will be asked to pay for this course online. Please discuss with your club whether they will reimburse you for the cost of this course.
- Log on to the SLSA Members Area. If you do not have a SLSA Members Area account, or are having troubles logging in, please email the SLSA IT Help Deskand they will be able to assist you. SLSNSW cannot help with this.
- Once logged in and on the home page of the SLSA Members Area, click ‘E-Learning’.
- You should now be redirected to the SLSA Online Learning Portal.
- The SLSA Online Learning Portal (EtrainU) will activate your username in the system.
- Once you have logged into EtrainU, click on ‘Training Library’ at the top right of the page. Then select SLS – Sport, this will give you a list of available courses.
- Select the course which you would like to complete.
- Pay for the course online.
Coaching Course Pre-requisites
Community Coaching General Principles
The Australian Sports Commission (ASC) Community Coaching General Principles (CCGP) is a prerequisite for the Foundation, Development and Performance Coaching Courses and is free of charge. The CCGP online course has been developed to assist coaches to learn the basic skills of coaching, particularly coaches working with children. This course is not sport specific, however you will develop a knowledge and understanding in general coaching topics including:
- The role and responsibilities expected of a coach
- Working with parents
- Group management
- Inclusive coaching practices
This certificate covers module 1 for both the Foundation and the Development courses and is separate to those on the SLSA Members Area. Once completed, you do not have to complete it again.
This course was previously known as the Beginning Coaching General Principles course. As this course has been superseded, SLSNSW cannot accept this certificate as RPL for any course.
How to log in to complete the CCGP certificate:
- Visit the website
- Create a login
- Once you have logged in to the Learning Portal, click ‘Browse Learning’
- Click ‘Community Coaching General Principles’
- Complete enrolment and begin the course
- Save a copy of the certificate and submit it with all other completed course certificates
ASADA Anti-Doping Course
It is a requirement that Development Coaches complete the ASADA Level 1 Sports Anti-Doping Course, and that Performance Coaches complete the ASADA Level 2 Sports Anti-Doping course.
Sport Integrity Australia e-learning is a free and easy-to-use online education tool featuring online courses, videos and learning updates. It provides everyone with the opportunity to learn about the key areas of anti-doping such as prohibited substances and methods, Therapeutic Use Exemptions, doping control and whereabouts.
Seated time is approx. 30-45 minutes.
Child Safe Awareness Course
The SLSNSW Board has determined that all coaches and officials are required to complete SLSA’s online Child Safe Awareness course.
Working with Children Check
Surf Life Saving NSW members who work directly with children under the age of 18 must complete a Working with Children Check (WWCC), unless their role is exempt under the legislation. The WWCC Guidelines outline these roles and exemptions.
Completed WWCC details must be provided to the club to be verified with the Office of Children’s Guardian. Failure to do so will result in suspension from any child related roles.
Clinics and Development Pathways
Surf Boat Rowers Clinics
Surf Boat Clinics are planned and scheduled in conjunction with the SLSNSW Surf Boat Commission Panel members. These are targeted towards beginner to intermediate level rowers who wish to enhance their rowing, providing athletes with the opportunity to be coached by some of NSW best coaches. Information for Surf Boat Rowers Clinics will be distributed through Club Mail and Surf Sports Weekly (SSW).
All SLSA coaching accreditations are valid for four years.
Note: Do not let your accreditation lapse; you may have to complete a new course under the new framework if you do not get this information to your State Centre in time.
There are 5 steps involved in the re-accreditation process which are outlined on the re-accreditation form below.
Helpful Links & FAQs
What happens when I complete the course?
Please send all completed paperwork to your assessor of choice, they will assess your theoretical assessments and schedule in a time to conduct your practical assessment. Once you have been deemed competent and have all completed and signed paperwork, please send this through to SLSNSW. Once all information is received, this will be processed to your SurfGuard profile and the award is valid for 4 years. Please allow 3-4 weeks for your accreditation to be processed. You can check if you have been given the award by logging into the SLS Members Area or by contacting your Club administrator.
Please note that the course is not complete until all online theory modules and practical is finalised and signed off by an assessor.
- For SLSA platform issues please visit https://support.sls.com.au to open a new ticket, and mention that you are trying to enrol for a coaching course in NSW and need access to the Members Area.
- If you have any questions regarding the EtrainU platform please contact Helpdesk Support.
- SurfGuard Help: 1300 724 006
Support Ticket Desk: sls.com.au
The SurfGuard helpdesk is open during the following hours:
Monday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (AEST)
Tuesday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (AEST)
Wednesday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (AEST)
Thursday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (AEST)
Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (AEST)
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm (AEST)
The helpdesk is closed on public holidays.
Who can I talk to if I have more questions?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the Surf Sports Team will contact you.