All sections of the lifesaving movement were recognised with awards presented for outstanding contributions in the areas of education, member services, lifesaving and sport.
Honours were shared among lifesavers from all across NSW and Sydney Branch finished with five awards including the overall NSW Surf Lifesaver of the Year, while the Central Coast had four winners within its ranks and earned Branch of the Year honours.
North Cronulla’s Kane Hughes capped off his evening and the season by being crowned the Surf Lifesaver of the Year, and Sussan Hunt from Batemans Bay SLSC was awarded Volunteer of the Year.
"Being Volunteer of the Year is a great thrill and it means the hours I put in trying to make things better really do make a difference and the people in Surf Life Saving think that aswell," Sussan Hunt said.
Surf Life Saving NSW CEO Phil Vanny AM said it was a fantastic opportunity to honour the efforts of surf lifesavers ahead of what promises to be another busy summer.
“It’s important for us as an organisation to honour the achievements of our members including those who have distinguished themselves and made outstanding contributions doing things like teaching our lifesavers the vital skills they need to save lives, inspiring our Nippers, performing daring rescues or excelling in surf sport competition.
Lifesavers from around NSW will be back on patrol for the first day of the 2016/17 season on Saturday 24 September.
2016 NSW Surf Life Saving Awards of Excellence Winners
- Trainer of the Year - Kerrie Hammell (Cronulla SLSC)
- Assessor of the Year - Ben McCormack (North Bondi SLSC)
- Facilitator of the Year - Ramzy Fawzy (Wamberal SLSC)
- Community Education Program of the Year - Surf Life Saving Central Coast, Community Surf Education Program
- Team of the Year - Bulli Open Mens Boat Crew
- Administrator of the Year - Brienna Elford (South West Rocks SLSC)
- Initiative of the Year - Avalon Beach SLSC Youth Program
- Surf Sports Official of the Year - Wayne Druery (Cronulla SLSC)
- Surf Sports Coach of the Year - Peter Spence (Palm Beach SLSC)
- Masters Athlete of the Year - Laura Thurtell (Forster SLSC)
- Young Athlete of the Year - Jemma Smith (Umina Beach SLSC)
- Athlete of the Year - Daniel Collins (Redhead SLSC)
- Junior Lifesaver of the Year (Male) - Byron Vinkovic (Shellharbour SLSC)
- Junior Lifesaver of the Year (Female)- Ella Cook (Narrabeen Beach SLSC)
- Lifeguard of the Year - Angus Macphail, Tweed Shire Council
- Rescue of the Year - Macksville -Scotts Head SLSC
- Young Lifesaver of the Year - Samantha Hallett (Caves Beach SLSC)
- Stramit Club of the Year - North Bondi SLSC
- Branch of the Year - Central Coast
- Volunteer of the Year - Sussan Hunt (Batemans Bay SLSC)
- Surf Lifesaver of the Year - Kane Hughes (North Cronulla SLSC)
Saturday 13 August 2016