Surf Life Saving NSW is pleased to confirm the 24-strong squad who will travel to South Australia next month for the 2018 Interstate Championships.
This year’s team is a blend of highly experienced competitors and those fast emerging as some of the best new talent in surf sport. Almost every open athlete selected has previously pulled on the blue cap, while some have already had a taste of competition on the world stage.
Jake Lynch, Jemma Smith, Lizzie Welborn, and Rachel Wood have recently returned from Australian duties overseas forming a part of two very successful campaigns, while Max Brooks captained Sydney Northern Beaches to victory at the Interbranch Championships earlier this month.
There have been plenty of star performers in the juniors too with Naomi Scott, Alexandra, Anthea Warne and Sam Zustovich all enjoying early season success. The latter two would be extremely happy with their form that has led to them being selected in their first NSW team.
The depth of talent in this squad is impressive with selectors confident they have chosen a team with the quality to wrest back the trophy from Queensland.
“Choosing a representative team isn’t an easy process and with having limited spots in the squad it was important that we chose the most versatile team possible,” said NSW Surf Sports Development Coordinator Tim Piper.
“We’re looking forward to seeing what this group can do in the coming weeks and would like to congratulate all those selected and wish them and the coaching staff the very best of luck as they seek to end Queensland’s dominance.”
The Interstate Championships are a highlight of the surf sport representative season with state pride going on the line. Each state is allowed to field a maximum of 12 competitors (6 male, 6 female) in the Open and Youth category with four U17 athletes to be part of the Youth squad.
Preparations will continue to ramp up over the coming weeks with the squad travelling to Adelaide on Wednesday 18 January for a pre-competition camp before the Interstate Championships are held on Friday 20 January 2018.
NSW 2018 Interstate Open Team
- Max Brooks (Newport SLSC)
- Daniel Collins (Redhead SLSC)
- Blake Drysdale (Newport SLSC)
- Jake Lynch (Newport SLSC)
- Mitchell Trim (Newport SLSC)
- Hayden White (Branch of Origin)
- Kirsty Higgison (Branch of Origin)
- Alexandra Rampoldi (North Cronulla SLSC)
- Laura Shorter (Newport SLSC)
- Jemma Smith (Umina SLSC)
- Lizzie Welborn (North Bondi SLSC)
- Rachel Wood (Umina SLSC)
NSW 2018 Interstate Youth Team
- Hayden Copping (Redhead SLSC)
- Jake Evans (Elouera SLSC)
- Noah Havard (North Bondi SLSC)
- Isaac Smith (Newport SLSC)
- Jaymee Smith (Wanda SLSC)
- Sam Zustovich (Mollymook SLSC)
- Grace Gurr (Newport SLSC)
- Ngaire Hadfield (Cronulla SLSC)
- Chloe Mannix-Power (Cronulla SLSC)
- Nicola Owen (Redhead SLSC)
- Naomi Scott (Manly LSC)
- Anthea Warne (Cudgen Headland SLSC)
Monday 18 December 2017