After enjoying stunning success at the inaugural event in 2018, the state’s top teenagers are putting the final touches on their preparations to defend the Youth Pathway Cup later this week.
The Youth Pathway Cup offers an opportunity for some of the most talented athletes across the Under 14 and 15 age groups to test their skills against the best in Australia.
In 2019 the event will be staged at Newport Beach on Thursday 24 January with Surf Life Saving NSW acting as the host organisers.
The event will be held concurrently with the Interstate competition and will conclude a huge day of surf sport on Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
For most of the team it will be their first time pulling on the sky blue surf cap of NSW, and the selectors have chosen the squad based on their ability as well as their versatility on the sand and in the surf.
Many of these athletes have already achieved exceptional results at State and Country Championships in the past and this competition exposes them to a higher representative level as they seek to build their career in surf sport.
Following the success of last year’s competition Tasmania will cross the Bass Strait and join the 5 mainland states in fielding a team to compete at the Youth Pathway Cup.
Squads consist of five male and five female athletes across both age groups.
The NSW squad entered camp today with Head Coach Rachelle King looking forward to what promises to be an exciting title defence in just over 48 hours.
“I’m really looking forward to getting everyone together. It’s the first opportunity we have had to get the team together since it was selected late last.
“We have a beach/ocean session today, and I’m looking forward to our final preparations of our relay teams and team combinations.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for the group to race other athletes their age from around Australia and see where they’re at before participating at the Aussie Champs in April,” Ms King said.
2019 Youth Pathway Cup NSW Team
- Mia Cracknell (Avoca Beach SLSC)
- Chelsea Jones (Bulli SLSC)
- Emelyn Wheeler (Terrigal SLSC)
- Katelynn Doyle (Newport SLSC)
- Kimberley Doyle (Newport SLSC)
- Joshua Gedz (Freshwater SLSC)
- Charlie Walker (Cooks Hill SLSC)
- Bailey Clues (Newport SLSC)
- Jake Morris (Newport SLSC)
- Mitchell Morris (Newport SLSC)
- Poppi Lever (Macmasters Beach SLSC)
- Lily O’Sullivan (Cudgen Headland SLSC)
- Lucy Flanagan (North Cronulla SLSC)
- Lily Finati (North Bondi SLSC)
- Holly Holmesby (Bulli SLSC)
- Daniel Chisholm (Swansea Belmont SLSC)
- Ryan Green (Terrigal SLSC)
- Lucas Ottaway (Bulli SLSC)
- Peter Thoroughgood (Elouera SLSC)
- Joel Piper (Newport SLSC)
- Head Coach - Rachelle King (Terrigal SLSC)
- Team Manager - Monique Williams (Cooks Hill SLSC)
- Assistant Coaches - Michael Gedz (Queenscliff SLSC) & Thomas Simpson (Shelly Beach SLSC)
Tuesday 22 January 2019