Surf Life Saving NSW and the NSW State Emergency Service (SES) are teaming up to give volunteers new pathways and better protect communities in emergencies and natural disasters.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) will deliver a great operational capability boost and deliver benefits for members of both organisations.
Surf Life Saving volunteers have in the past, provided flood rescue support to the NSW SES in various parts of NSW and our IRB operators are acknowledged as experts in white water operations. In other states, Surf Life Saving is an accredited flood response support agency.
Many surf lifesavers are interested in getting involved in flood emergency management and response and the SES is keen to engage the support of skilled IRB operators and access specialised equipment such as drones.
Some of the benefits for Surf Life Saving includes:
- Greater recognition of the exceptional skills of our lifesavers
- Enhanced profile for the organisation as a key player within emergency services
- Additional opportunities for members to support their communities
- Enhanced training and additional resourcing for volunteers
- Another pathway for members wanting to be trained as IRB drivers and crew which will enhance our patrolling capacity.
In return, the SES will support surf lifesavers in the areas of member welfare and critical incident support throughout the state.
SLSNSW will begin by seeking expressions of interest from Branches to establish strategic flood response trained teams to be activated if required when disaster strikes.
Wednesday 29 August 2018