The NSW school holidays are in full swing and families are flocking to the coast. Surf lifesavers are urging beachgoers to be aware of their environment and check conditions before heading to the beach.
Please take extra caution as the Bureau of Meteorology has issued a hazardous conditions forecast between the Illawarra and Macquarie coastline over the weekend.
The wintery conditions currently being experienced in NSW will likely keep many people inside however lifesavers are keen to ensure that safety messages are being heard especially after 16 people were rescued on the opening weekend of the season.
“It’s important that everyone knows their limitations, and keeps a close eye on the conditions as they can change rapidly,” said NSW Lifesaving Manager Matt du Plessis.
“If you have any doubt about your ability, it’s better to stay on the sand. Please keep an eye on the weather and talk to the lifesavers and lifeguards on duty especially if you are swimming at beach that you might only visit a few times a year.
“We’re there to help you and we want everyone to enjoy their time at the beach safely, and above all swim between those red and yellow flags,” he concluded.
Volunteer surf lifesavers will be on patrol throughout the holidays and continue through to Sunday 28 April.
Beach Safety Tips
- Always swim between the red and yellow patrol flags, for your nearest patrolled beach check the BeachSafe app or website
- Read the safety signs for information about the beach and ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for safety information
- Always swim with someone else so you can look out for each other, and always supervise children around the water
- Never swim under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- If you need help in the water, stay calm and attract attention by raising one arm
- In an emergency, dial Triple Zero Police
- Don’t forget to be sun safe by remembering to: Slip on some protective clothing, Slop on some sunscreen, Slap on a hat, Slide on a pair of sunglasses, Seek some shade and Sip on lots of water to stay hydrated
- For information about patrol times, weather, and beach locations visit the Beachsafe Website or Download the App.
Friday 5 October 2018