Welcome to the Lifesaving section of the Surf Life Saving NSW website. Here you will find information relating to the various aspects of patrols. These are divided into three easy to navigate sections; On Patrol, Gear & Equipment and Emergency Response.
Information about Patrol Operations Manuals, Procedure Guides, Club Radio Procedures and overall lifesaving standards can be found in our ‘On Patrol’ section. All gear and equipment information, including the Coastal Radio Network and IRBs, can be found in our ‘Gear & Equipment’ section. Information relating to Emergency Callout Teams, Support Operations and Critical Incident Debriefs can be found in our Emergency Response’ section.
For any questions or support please contact the Lifesaving Team at SLSNSW on 02 9471 8000.
- 9 February 2016 2016 SOP Review - Terms of Reference
- 9 February 2016 2016 Patrol Audit Review - Terms of Reference
- 9 February 2016 2016 Gear & Equipment Inspections Review - Terms of Reference
The Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
The Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) provide policy/guidelines and reference for lifesaving operations in New South Wales.
The SOPs cover a range of topics that senior patrolling members (Club Captains, Patrol Captains, Support Operations Members etc) should be familiar with such as patrolling obligations and standards, gear and equipment guidelines, patrolling operations and emergency response guidelines. The SOPs are reviewed and updated bi-annually with the most recent review being completed in 2014.
View the 2014-2015 SOPs
Download the 2014-2015 SOPs
- LS01 - Introduction (pdf, 2.2MB)
- LS02 - Work Health and Safety (pdf, 711kb)
- LS03 - Information Management (pdf, 450kb)
- LS04 - Obligations and Standards (pdf, 469kb)
- LS05 - Regulations- Rescue Vessels (pdf, 504kb)
- LS06 - Gear and Equipment (pdf, 1.8MB)
- LS07 - Radio Communications (pdf, 378kb)
- LS08 - Patrol Operations (General) (pdf, 395kb)
- LS09 - Patrol Operations (Emergency) (pdf, 412kb)
- LS10 - Emergency Response System (pdf, 440kb)
- LS11 - SAR Operations (pdf, 1MB)
- LS12 - Surfcoms (pdf, 392kb)
- LS13 - Lifesaving Vessels and Aircraft (pdf, 1.7MB)
- LS14 - Post Incident Recovery Phase (pdf, 359kb)
- LS15 - Index (pdf, 353kb)
Download a full copy of the 2014-2015 SOPs (pdf, 9MB - please note this is a large file).