The Surf Operations Centre received reports that a man had been washed ashore at Tuckers Rock, Bellinger Valley just after 5pm. It is understood the man in his 50s had been in the water for at least 25 minutes but the circumstances of how he got into difficulty were not immediately clear.
Despite the best efforts of bystanders who performed CPR the man couldn’t be revived.
Two North Coast Duty Officers attended the scene, but were not required to assist.
A report will be prepared for the coroner.
Beach Safety Tips
• Always swim between the red and yellow patrol flags, for your nearest patrolled beach check the BeachSafe app or website
• Read the safety signs for information about the beach and ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for safety information
• Always swim with someone else so you can look out for each other, and always supervise children around the water
• Never swim under the influence of alcohol or drugs
• If you need help in the water, stay calm and attract attention by raising one arm
• In an emergency, dial Triple Zero Police
• Don’t forget to be sun safe by remembering to: Slip on some protective clothing, Slop on some sunscreen, Slap on a hat, Slide on a pair of sunglasses, Seek some shade and Sip on lots of water to stay hydrated
• For information about patrol times, weather, and beach locations visit the Beachsafe Website or Download the App.
Thursday 2 March 2017